Outreach Ministry at St. Johns
- Our commitment to serve the immediate community and greater metropolitan area includes congregationally based outreach and partnerships with other faith communities and non-profit organizations to create or promote ecumenical, interfaith and community-based service programs. Our Church members serve as the backbone of this commitment through their vision, active leadership and hands-on involvement. Recognizing the ever-constant, yet ever-evolving, challenges facing our City and world, we understand that “every day is a new day for outreach” in our efforts to provide relevant and life-changing ministries. The Outreach Ministry meets the second Sunday of each month in the Parish Hall immediately following coffee hour. Contact the Rev. Deacon David Curtis for more informationCurrent Opportunities.
- On First Fruit Sundays, donate to the Central Virginia Food Bank by placing your contributions in the basket at the front of the Church.
- Make lunches for the Bellevue Elementary Saturday Academy Saturday, May 14, at 9:00 a.m. in the Parish Hall. If you can come, please email David Curtis.
- Support Laundry Love Put your spare change in the Laundry Love jars you see around the church. The funds help our neighbors in need minimize the cost of doing laundry so that they can channel their hard-earned money to other basic necessities.
- Help with the planning and funding or be a mentor or tutor of Armstrong Priorities Freshman Academy. Make your gift to St. John’s Church, memo Armstrong Priorities Fund.
- Rebuilding Together Richmond brings volunteers and communities together to improve the homes and lives of low-income homeowners. On the last Saturday in April, St. John’s partners with St. Mary’s, Goochland, in a day-long event. Donations are welcome throughout the year. Please contact Rita Driscoll if you’d like to participate.
- The Peter Paul Development Center is an outreach and community service agency serving children and senior citizens in Richmond’s Church Hill. St. John’s has had the privilege of adopting a family for whom we provide gifts each Christmas. We also hold drives for school supplies and other supplies at the center.
- Chimborazo & Bellevue Schools: Helping students and teachers at Chimborazo Elementary School through the Micah Initiative of Richmond Hill provides crucial support for neighborhood
- ACTS (Area Congregations Together in Service) is a greater Richmond interfaith mission providing support and resources to individuals and families experiencing a crisis which, if not addressed, would result in homelessness. Homelessness prevention is ACTS’ mission. St John’s is a founding partner congregation of ACTS and continues to provide financial support and parish representation on its advisory board.